"A friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty:"
Religious Studies at Belhaven are now called Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies (RMPS). This means, whilst still looking at The Bible and studying other world religions, we delve deeper into the moral aspects or messages of our ‘Topical Themes’.
As the children get older they ask questions of the core texts which reflect on the lives of great religious and inspirational leaders bringing a more contemporary feel to the subject.
Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies at Belhaven Hill still aims to support the general Christian ethos of the school. The majority of pupils will have the ability and necessary background knowledge to be able to understand beliefs and practices of faiths and to discuss issues in much more depth, both orally and on paper. The aim is to give them a wide religious knowledge and understanding, while fostering the interest to discover more for themselves. The syllabus contributes to the pupils’ spiritual, moral and cultural development and teaches them to think for themselves about a wide range of issues.
The objectives of RMPS for our children:
- To enjoy Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies.
- To be able to analyse critically their own perceptions of religion.
- To have a clear understanding of appropriate links between society, morals and religion.
- To have a working knowledge of various world religions.
- To appreciate the Christian ethos of the school.
- To have a detailed knowledge of the New and Old Testaments.
All senior pupils read from Scripture passages at morning prayers and all pupils take part in an annual Scripture Competition. Contact is maintained with local churches by attending services on a regular basis.