Our School - Scotland's Largest Full Boarding and Day Prep School
Founded in 1923, Belhaven Hill has a long and proud history, growing from its humble beginnings with a handful of boys and two staff in an old private house on Belhaven Hill.
Today, Belhaven is Scotland's leading, traditional boarding and day prep school with over 130 boys and girls aged 7 to 13 years. Belhaven welcomes day boys and girls from age 7 (P3 equivalent).
Set in 20 acres of beautiful grounds, Belhaven has an idyllic, coastal setting which both children and staff treat as their playground and home. We are unashamedly proud of our finest ambassadors - our children - who are happy, well-mannered and confident.
Belhaven has a long-standing reputation for nurturing academic excellence. Many of our boys and girls win scholarships to the top senior schools in England and Scotland (about 70% of the school’s pupils head south), in fields as diverse as Academia, Music, Art, Sport and as All Rounders. Perhaps that is why ‘Country Life’ chose Belhaven as one of only 13 of the finest Prep or Junior Schools in Britain – and the only one in Scotland.
Read some of Belhaven's latest news in the Headmaster's Blog, straight from Mr Knight's pen, or read the latest edition of the School's Magazine, The Bugle.
Why 'Be Belhaven'?Because we aim to develop these qualities in our boys and girls: 'Be Happy', ‘Be Curious’, ‘Be Courteous’, ‘Be Ambitious’, ‘Be Challenged’, ‘Be Confident’, ‘Be Outdoors’, ‘Be Individual’ and ‘Be Ready’.
These Belhaven values reflect the success of our all-round approach to education which fosters: ambition, determination, perseverance, camaraderie, pride in other’s achievements, and a good old fashioned approach to manners! See more at Be Belhaven...
Belhaven emphasizes traditional values while having a modern outlook, reflected by our ethos and many recent investments:
- an extended girls’ Boarding House;
- the provision of specialist teaching rooms and laboratories;
- the creation of a sports hall and ICT suites;
- a £¾ million Music School;
- refurbished boys’ boarding accommodation.
Helped by the popularity of Harry Potter, many children now see modern boarding as a ‘magical’ time spent with friends while enjoying lots of adventures, forming friendships that often last a lifetime. Belhaven has ample Common Rooms, and a full selection of sports, games, and extra-curricular activities: from skiing, surfing, riding and golf, to drama, debating, Mastermind, music and art, fly tying, reeling, cookery, model making and board games!
We are well aware of our standing in the local community and are pleased to have widened access by offering Means Tested Bursaries. This allows many more children to enjoy the benefits of a Belhaven education.
Choosing the right school is a difficult decision. However, you know instinctively if you feel at home, and whether it is an environment in which your children will flourish.
See what makes a Belhaven education stand out in 'Why Belhaven?'
Please visit us to find out what makes us tick. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01368 862785. You can visit us any time by appointment and don't need to wait for an Open Day.
"Belhaven is an extremely friendly and happy place to both be at school but also to visit. It has a level of formality, if required, but is capable of being very informal for the rest of the time. …What a great stepping stone to the next stage of their development…"
The Belhaven Ethos
- At Belhaven, we aim to create a happy and secure environment in which all children, boarders and day pupils, can thrive spiritually, emotionally, physically and academically.
- We emphasize the hidden curriculum of courtesy, personal responsibility and community. Pupils are encouraged to aim high and ‘have a go’, with no fear of failure. School life should be inspiring and nurture a passion for life and learning!
- Healthy competition in academia, sports and extra-curricular activities is encouraged, developing invaluable attributes for the challenges of life and the business world.
- Against a background of Christian values, pupils are taught to show consideration for others and to respect the feelings and property of fellow pupils, staff and the wider public with a view to making a positive contribution to society.
- The relationship between staff and pupils is one of trust and respect, where manners and everyday courtesies are the norm and where fun and good humour abounds.
- The well-being of each boy and girl is central to the care we provide; and that care is the key to our success.
- We accentuate the positive and we deprecate the negative. We believe there is too much emphasis these days on Rights and not enough on Duties and Responsibilities.
- We treat our boys and girls with warmth and understanding and we value enthusiasm, tolerance and a sense of humour.
To visit us, email email@example.com or call us on 01368 862785.