There is one vacancy:
RESIDENTIAL MATHS TEACHER AND SPORTS COACH
Belhaven Hill is looking to recruit a teacher of Maths who will inspire their charges with a love for the subject and the confidence to perform to a high standard. The successful applicant should be prepared to live on site and commit to boarding duties on a weekly basis as well as to be able to coach a variety of sports. It would be of interest if the applicant had experience in leading outdoor activities and expeditions. As a teacher of Maths, the applicant would report to the Deputy Head Academic; as part of the boarding team, to the Deputy Head Pastoral.
This is an opportunity for a well-qualified, enthusiastic and motivated person to contribute to all aspects of life at the School. Belhaven Hill School is Scotland’s leading co-educational full boarding and day preparatory school, set in a beautiful coastal location in Dunbar, 30 miles east of Edinburgh. There are currently 100 pupils aged between the ages of 6 to 13 years, with about 60% of those full boarding.
While teaching at Belhaven Hill is demanding and requires full commitment, the work is fulfilling and can be great fun. On appointment, new staff are provided with a mentor and, for the duration of their first (probationary) year, are supported by the induction process.
The salary will be discussed at interview, although it should be noted that Belhaven pays in line with the Scottish Negotiating Council of Teachers’ salary scale, with additional increments for responsibility outside the classroom. Belhaven Hill staff are recommended to contribute to the SPPA Superannuation Scheme but may contract out. Full-time staff may be asked to operate as form staff or as tutors, to contribute to the games and/or activities programme, and will undertake at least one evening duty or activity with the boarders.
Knowledge & Experience
- At least 3 years' experience as a teacher of Maths.
- At least 2 years’ experience of working in a boarding house environment, taking responsibility for the wellbeing and development of children in line with the School’s safeguarding policy.
- Experience of coaching team sport at prep school level.
- Experience of leading outdoor activities.
- A good honours degree in a relevant subject.
- A teaching qualification and, ideally Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
- A clear philosophy on how and why the subject should be taught.
- Subject knowledge sufficient to challenge able students and achieve high outcomes.
- Awareness of the strategies available for improving the learning & achievement of high ability students.
- A good understanding of curriculum developments.
Skills & Abilities
- Able to use a range of teaching & learning strategies.
- An understanding of how assessment for learning can improve student performance.
- A confident and competent user of ICT, with a knowledge & understanding of how ICT can be used in the teaching of the subject to enhance student learning.
- Able to communicate both orally & in writing to students and their parents.
- Enthusiasm & a positive outlook.
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Creative in problem solving together with a willingness to take on or try new approaches and ideas.
- A positive attitude towards personal development and their own learning.
- Reliability & integrity.
- Good personal organisation.
The key to this appointment is to find an able teacher with enthusiasm and energy, and who aspires to career advancement within a flourishing, busy and happy boarding and day school community.
If you feel you can meet the requirements of this post, we will be delighted to hear from you. Please send a short handwritten letter of application along with the School’s application form and the details of two referees.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. A copy of the School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available to download form the School’s website www.belhavenhill.com . Please take the time to read this document
It is the policy of this School to employ the best qualified personnel and to provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of their race, colour, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, religion or religious belief, disability or age.
All new appointments are subject to a probationary period.
For further information please download the Job description here
For an Application Form as a Word document click here
For an Application Form as a PDF document click here